What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an apparatus made of titanium that serves to replace the root of a tooth. The implant – or titanium post – is surgically placed into the jawbone and effectively functions as an anchor for a replacement tooth, or dental crown. A dental implant is one of the most advanced means to permanently replace teeth that have been lost due to decay or injury.
Because the implant is integrated into the jawbone, the bone around it eventually grows around the implant so that the two combine, making the implant a permanent part of the structure.
What are the benefits of a dental implant?
- Aesthetics. A dental implant is designed to look like your natural teeth and can, therefore, bring back the confidence in your smile.
- Durability. A dental implant is a permanent solution to a missing tooth. There’s no risk that it will come loose eventually because the jaw bone grows around it and holds it securely in place. The average success rate for dental implants is more than 95 percent.
- Comfort. Because it is securely attached to the jawbone, you can eat and speak more comfortably and naturally as you won’t have to worry about the replacement tooth becoming loose like a denture often can. High-quality dental implants also ensure that you can confidently go back to biting and chewing on all kinds of foods.
- Oral health. The titanium post is designed to be directly implanted only into the bone area where the old tooth used to be, and its surgical placement does not require anchoring to the surrounding teeth and removal of some of those teeth’s healthy structure.
Is the cost of a dental implant worth it?
More than the surgical procedure itself, most patients get intimidated by the cost of getting a dental implant. It is true that a dental implant costs a lot more than other forms of artificial tooth replacement. But in the long run, getting a dental implant is more cost-efficient when you take into consideration the fact that it can last a lifetime with proper care. In comparison, other artificial prosthetics require constant repair and replacement and the cumulative cost will end up costing about the same as a dental implant, if not higher.
In terms of value for money, the intangible benefits you can get from a dental implant easily exceed those of other oral prosthetics.
How much does a dental implant cost in Melbourne?
The cost of a dental implant varies depending on several factors, which includes:
- The type of implantation procedure you require
- The type of material/s used to manufacture your dental implant
- The level and years of experience of your cosmetic dentist/orthodentist
- The number of dental implants you need
- The location of the implant/s
Taking all these factors into consideration, the cost of a single dental implant in Melbourne can vary between $1500 and $7000. It’s normal practice for some oral surgeons to add a $1500 charge for the dental crown and another $500 for the abutment (i.e. used to attach the crown to the implant).
Packages for multiple dental implants are also offered by most clinics. There are packages for full-mouth dental implants, lower-jaw implants, and upper-jaw implants. Most surgeons charge a higher price for upper-jaw implants compared to lower-jaw implants because the former requires greater skill.
If you’re thinking of getting a dental implant, contact BlueSpa to learn more about your options.